Saturday, December 17, 2011

Handmade wedding

 Left: Personalized cake-topper (ceramic painted with acrylic)
Middle: Me and my sweet husband Yonid
 Right: Crochet wedding bouquet (Finger spun wool yarn, wire, raffia, felt, beads)---Available on my Etsy!

My name is Candace and I just moved to Austin, Texas. I am a recent SFA grad (10+ points for anyone who knows of SFA) where I studied psychology and art. I am also newlywed to my awesome husband Yonid Franco ( I will be using him as a model for my projects often). He is an amazing musician from Peru, which is where I get a lot of my inspiration and materials form.  I am just about to start work at my new job in early January as a bilingual financial counselor at Clearpoint Credit Counseling’s new office in Austin. They are an amazing non-profit company that provides free credit counseling to those who really need it. So, needless to say I am going through some exciting transitions in life. 

As you may know having navigated to this page, I will be teaching a crochet class starting in March at the Hobby Lobby at 8000 Research Bld. Class times and dates are not set in stone yet, but I will have them posted soon. It will be a beginning crochet class, but as interests arise I plan to create additional advanced classes.  I am very excited about this opportunity to teach one of the great loves of my life to others and help them start their own journey with crochet. I also hope it will be a good way for me to meet new people and get more involved in the Austin community. 

I also wanted to take a moment to tell you about the name of my blog, One Happy Hooker. I have called my blog this as a tribute to my Great-Grandma Peep. She was one of the most avid crochetors that I have ever known and the first person to attempt to teach me the art of crochet (the attempt failed on my very distracted 5-year-old self.)  Although my grandmother has now passed-away, the family still laughs about the funny things that she would say. One of my favorites was the time that her co-workers at the middle school library poked fun at her for constantly crocheting at work. She told them they could just call her "The Happy Hooker." Although my grandmother’s crude humor was just to get a laugh, I believe there was some truth to what she said. The drive to create and keep busy may fostered her long healthy life of 86 years. 

I have carried on her legacy as the only other crochetor in my family. I will be using this blog to showcase my current projects, but you can check out some of my past projects on my facebook page here

Also I have just rekindled my etsy page and you can check it out too!

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment